Tuesday, January 26, 2010

my daddy

my daddy
taught me about music
he always had it playing in our house
it was never quiet
sometimes it caused a riot
we were always loud
entertaining a crowd
he went to work in a suit
but came home and let loose
poured himself a drink
and in his chair he'd sink
pretending to direct
the most obedient musicians
he'd close his eyes and humm
to the strings the bass and drums
i'll never forget his passion
for tchaikovsky, beethoven and chopin
i would pretend i was a prima ballerina
and dance and prance to gain his attention
yearning for his affection
leaping in all directions
he gave me the strength to reach for the stars
even though some thought i was from mars
he believed in me
and so i was free
to travel far
lonely as a star
but always knowing
my home was warm and glowing
safe and secure for me to return
forever being adored
as his prima ballerina
i love my daddy
and even though he isn't perfect
i forgive his flaws
because in my heart i know
that he loves me so
and that is all that matters
in the end
he is my friend

1 comment: